Water Fair (4th Grade Science Fair Sponsored by the City every April)
Learn About Water Websites
Water Fair Fun
We have an exciting opportunity! The 4th Grade students may participate in the State of New Hampshire Water Science Fair. Students will be creating a project related to water. At school, we will talk about different ideas and examples of water projects. Students will need to make the project at home and bring it to school. Or, they can work on it at school during library and free time. Some people from Manchester Water Works will come to look at the projects. They will have prizes for the best ones. Making a project is optional, but we encourage all students to participate.
How can you help?
- Projects are due Monday, April 17th. Please help your child remember this important date. Write it on your calendar.
- Your child will come home with ideas for a project. Talk about these ideas together and help your child figure out what to do.
- Your child will have a chance to get information for their project here at school. You can help get some information at home too.
- Projects do not need to be big, complicated or expensive. Help your child find items around the house that can be used. We also have items at school.
- Have fun together! Remember, this is your child’s project and they must do the work.
How to write a Bibliography
Parsons Elementary School made this great video on how to write a Bibliography for an elementary school science project!
Sample Science Fair Experiment
Here's an organizer for anyone that wants to do a science experiment. District 144's science fair guide can take you through the steps.
Or try one put out by Lora Holt
Water Fair Requirements
All fourth graders are encouraged to participate. The City's Water Works Department sponsors a state wide Science Fair with the theme of water. The requirements are as follows:
1. Must have a signed permission slip from parent / guardian.
2. Must complete a project or poster on topic.
3. Must write a one page minimum report on what was learned.
4. Must have a bibliography for their report.
State of NH Rules for 4th Grade Water Science Fair
1. Projects must be related to water.
2. Projects must be completed by an individual or with a partner; NO groups.
3. Exhibits must be the size of one or two desks and free standing.
4. Exhibits MUST have a title visible for the judges.
5. Projects CANNOT include live or dead animals.
6. Families can help with the project, BUT the student must do the work. Families can come to the fairs, BUT must not interfere with the judging.
7. All exhibits must include a bibliography of at least TWO sources.
8. Projects CANNOT use electricity, an open flame, poisons, hazardous or corrosive chemicals or exploding items. Battery operated power is ok.
9. Parent or Guardian signatures are needed on the appropriate form for student to participate in the fair. Students will be photographed.
10. Projects must by set up before the judging starts.
11. A one page report is required on your project explaining the project.
12. Projects do not need to be expensive to win.
14. Have Fun! Judges will score projects on creativity, presentation and knowledge.